Current Watches and Warnings
Excessive Heat Warning
Statement as of 4:08 AM CDT on July 24, 2016
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on July 24, 2016
... Excessive heat warning in effect from 11 am this morning to
7 PM CDT this evening...
The National Weather Service in Quad Cities has issued an
excessive heat warning... which is in effect from 11 am this
morning to 7 PM CDT this evening.
* Heat index values... peaking between 105 to 110.
* Timing... oppressive conditions will occur from late morning through
this evening. Peak heat index readings and most dangerous
conditions will be during the afternoon and early evening.
* Impacts... temperatures and moisture this high could lead to
heat related illnesses with prolonged exposure. The elderly...
small children and pets are especially susceptible. Plan
ahead. Have a cool place to shelter from the heat. Avoid
outdoor activity during the midday and afternoon.
An excessive heat warning means that a prolonged period of
dangerously hot temperatures and high humidity will occur. This
combination will lead to a dangerous situation in which heat
illnesses are likely. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-
conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check on relatives and
neighbors, especially the elderly.
Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When
possible, reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or
evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat
stroke. Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when
possible and drink plenty of water.
To reduce risk during outdoor work the occupational safety and
health administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks
in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by
heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke
is an emergency, call 9 1 1.
- Alaska - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning
- Arkansas - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- California - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Delaware - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Hawaii - Tropical Storm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, High Surf Warning , Flash Flood Watch, High Surf Advisory , High Surf Advisory
- Illinois - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory
- Indiana - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Iowa - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Kansas - Excessive Heat Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Louisiana - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Maryland - Heat Advisory
- Massachusetts - Heat Advisory
- Michigan - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Mississippi - Flash Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory
- Nebraska - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Excessive Heat Watch , Record Report
- New York - Excessive Heat Watch , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- North Carolina - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Ohio - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory
- Pennsylvania - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Tennessee - Heat Advisory
- Texas - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Virginia - Heat Advisory
- West Virginia - Heat Advisory
- Wisconsin - Heat Advisory