Current Watches and Warnings
California, Los Angeles County San Gabriel Valley
Excessive Heat Warning, Wind Advisory
Statement as of 10:06 PM PDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 5:00 PM EDT on October 25, 2017
... Wind Advisory remains in effect from midnight tonight to 2 PM
... Excessive heat warning remains in effect from 10 am Monday to
8 PM PDT Tuesday...
* temperatures... highs from 98 to 106. Overnight lows from 65 to
75 except around 80 in the hills.
* Winds... northeast to east winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 40
mph in the foothills Monday through Wednesday afternoon. The
strongest winds are expected Tuesday.
* Impacts... the very high temperatures create a dangerous
situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Temperatures
inside vehicles, even if the windows are partially open, can
quickly rise to life-threatening levels. Gusty winds could
create travel difficulty for high profile vehicles.
Take extra precautions Monday through Tuesday if you work or
spend time outside. When possible, reschedule strenuous
activities to early morning or evening. Know the signs and
symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear light weight
and loose fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of
water. Never, ever, leave people or pets in enclosed vehicles,
even for a short period of time.
When driving, use extra caution. Be prepared for sudden gusty
Fire Weather Warning
Statement as of 4:02 PM PDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on October 25, 2017
... Red flag warning now in effect until 6 PM PDT Wednesday for
gusty northeast winds... high temperatures... and low relative
humidity for the Ventura County coast and Los Angeles County
coast from Malibu to Hollywood Hills...
* winds... areas of northeast winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 25
mph through tonight from the Ventura County coast extending
eastward to Malibu and Hollywood Hills. Winds increasing to 20
to 35 mph with gusts to 40 to 50 mph Monday through Tuesday.
Strongest winds on Tuesday.
* Relative humidity... minimum values 8 to 18 percent today,
lowering to between 5 and 12 percent Monday through Wednesday.
Very poor humidity recoveries expected each night in the
foothills and wind prone areas.
* Temperatures... Max temperatures 84 to 94 degrees today, rising
to between 95 and 105 degrees Monday into Tuesday... then slight
cooling on Tuesday. Very warm overnight low temperatures in the
foothills and wind-prone areas... with lows in the 70s in
* Impacts... if fire ignition occurs, there will be the potential
for very rapid spread of wildfire with long range spotting and
extreme fire behavior that could lead to a threat to life and
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are expected. A combination of gusty winds... very low relative
humidity... and hot temperatures can contribute to extreme fire
behavior. Use extreme caution when using potential fire ignition
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 8:39 PM PDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 11:39 AM EDT on October 23, 2017
... Peak winds over past 24 hours across southwest CA...
Location speed time/date elevation (ft.)
... Los Angeles County...
Warm Springs 38 mph 1253 PM 10/22 4930
Granada Hills 38 mph 0110 am 10/22 1414
Whitaker Peak 38 mph 0457 am 10/22 4120
Porter ranch 36 mph 1000 am 10/22 1633
Sandberg 36 mph 1258 PM 10/22 4510
Sylmar 36 mph 0859 PM 10/21 1364
Mill Creek 34 mph 0253 am 10/22 5021
Camp nine 34 mph 1255 am 10/22 4000
chilao 34 mph 1053 PM 10/21 5450
Newhall pass 33 mph 1156 am 10/22 2134
del Valle 31 mph 1255 PM 10/22 1277
Glendale 30 mph 0725 am 10/22 803
Saugus 30 mph 0557 PM 10/22 1450
... San Luis Obispo County...
3 NNW San Luis Obispo 44 mph 0714 am 10/22 380
Avila Beach, cal poly pier 38 mph 0626 am 10/22 0
Port San Luis nos 35 mph 0212 PM 10/22 523
Shandon (8 e) 33 mph 1100 am 10/22 2333
1 N Nipomo 32 mph 0645 am 10/22 341
... Santa Barbara County...
vandenberg AFB 36 mph 1028 PM 10/21 369
Jalama beach 36 mph 0906 PM 10/21 29
pt. Conception lighthouse 36 mph 1238 am 10/22 24
Santa Maria apt. 33 mph 1229 am 10/22 242
San Marcos Pass RAWS 33 mph 1206 am 10/22 1491
Gaviota State Park 32 mph 0440 am 10/22 87
10 E Santa Maria 30 mph 1120 PM 10/21 1695
Point Arguello cman 30 mph 0300 PM 10/22 105
... Ventura County...
South Mountain 48 mph 0557 am 10/22 2350
Wiley Ridge 39 mph 0349 PM 10/22 1645
6 SW Thousand Oaks 36 mph 0945 am 10/22 3110
Simi Valley hospital 33 mph 0618 am 10/22 1035
Boney Mountain 32 mph 0328 am 10/22 1714
... Maritime stations...
38 W Point Arguello 34 mph 1100 am 10/22 0
west Santa Barbara Channel b 34 mph 0840 PM 10/21 0
Observations are collected from a variety of sources with varying
equipment and exposures. We thank all volunteer weather observers
for their dedication. Not all data listed are considered official.
- Alabama - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning
- Alaska - High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Fire Weather Warning
- California - Excessive Heat Warning, Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory, Heat Advisory , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado -
- Connecticut - Special Statement
- Florida - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Guam - High Surf Warning, High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Flash Flood Watch , High Wind Watch
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois -
- Indiana -
- Iowa - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Kansas - Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Louisiana - Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning
- Massachusetts - Special Statement
- Michigan - Areal Flood Watch
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Nevada -
- New Mexico -
- New York -
- North Carolina -
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Ohio -
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning
- Oregon - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania -
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Warning
- Rhode Island - Special Statement
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement
- Tennessee - Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , High Wind Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Virginia -
- Washington - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Dense Fog Advisory
- Wyoming - High Wind Warning , Public Information Statement