Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Larimer County Below 6000 Feet/Northwest Weld County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:59 AM MDT on July 03, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
29-15 in 2000... the 29th marked the beginning of a near record hot
streak for Metro Denver. The high temperatures... as recorded
at Denver International Airport... exceeded the 90 degree mark
for 17 consecutive days from June 29th through July 15th.
The record of 24 consecutive 90 degree or above days was
set from July 13th through August 5th... 2008.
1-18 in 1874... a streak of 18 consecutive days of 90 degrees
tied for second with another streak that was later set
in the Summer of 1901. The record of 24 consecutive days
was established in the Summer of 2008.
1-31 in 2012... it was the hottest July on record in Denver since
weather records began in 1872. The average temperature for
the month was 78.9 degrees which was 4.7 degrees above
normal. There were 27 days in which the high temperature
equaled or exceeded 90 degrees... which established a new
record. There were also 7 days in which the temperature
equaled or exceeded 100 degrees which tied the record
set in 2005.
3 in 1874... the temperature climbed to a high of 101 degrees
in downtown Denver.
In 1881... the all time highest recorded daily minimum
temperature of 77 degrees occurred in the city. This
was also the highest daily minimum temperature ever
recorded in July.
In 1885... a severe thunderstorm produced hail the size of
Hazel nuts... which fell with great force. A Telegraph
pole in west Denver was struck by lightning and shattered
In 1955... a brief microburst wind gust to 61 mph was recorded
at Stapleton Airport.
In 1960... a major hail storm caused 1.5 million dollars in
damage across Metro Denver. The heaviest damage occurred in
south Denver... Englewood... Littleton... and Golden from wind-
driven hail as large as Golf balls and heavy rain which
caused flooding. Winds were estimated at 60 to 70 mph.
Rainfall was estimated at 2 to 3 inches. Hail accumulated
3 to 4 inches deep in some sections. Hail carried by flood
waters drifted 3 to 4 feet deep. An Englewood policeman was
injured when hail broke the windshield of his car. One inch
of rain in 10 minutes... and heavy hail damage were reported in
Parker. At some places the hail from the storm was still on
the ground the next morning.
In 1967... large hail stones from 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 inches in
diameter damaged cars and buildings in southwest Denver and
Littleton where hail drifted to depths of 3 to 4 feet. The
hail caused a great deal of damage... and streets were flooded
by heavy rain over many sections of west Metro Denver. At
Centennial Race Track near Littleton... a few hail stones
were as large as tennis balls. Large hail broke the
windshield on a Littleton police car. Golf Ball to tennis
Ball size hail fell in the vicinity of Arapahoe Road and
south Broadway. One inch diameter hail fell at the
intersection of Orchard and south University. Golf Ball
size hail fell in Broomfield. Hail in Westminster was
measured from 1 to 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Tornadoes
were sighted by the public near Cherry Creek Reservoir...
north of Commerce City... and in Arvada... but caused no
In 1993... high winds developed behind a strong cold front along
portions of the Front Range. While the strongest winds were
reported north of Metro Denver... the winds blew out a half
inch thick pane of glass from a vacant 9-story building.
The glass landed on a parked car below. West winds gusting
to 52 mph kicked up some blowing dust at Stapleton
In 1996... lightning sparked a small fire near Buffalo Creek
in southern Jefferson County. Only one acre burned before
the fire was contained.
In 2002... heavy thunderstorm rain washed out a frontage Road
6 miles north of Larkspur. The nearby Mountain Ranch
subdivision was also flooded. Heavy rainfall in the
Hayman fire burn area washed out a secondary Road when
debris from the runoff blocked a culvert. Hail as large
as 3/4 inch fell near Keenesburg... in Castle Rock... and
7 miles to the south of Castle Rock.
In 2005... severe thunderstorms produced high winds. Wind
gusts to 75 mph were measured near Longmont and to 60 mph
just west of Boulder. No damage was reported.
In 2007... severe thunderstorms produced large hail in the
foothills and suburbs west of Denver. Large hail from
1 to 2 inches in diameter was reported in the vicinity of
Idaho Springs... Rollins and Edgewater.
In 2009... severe thunderstorms produced large hail and
north and east of Denver. Hail up to one inch in
diameter was observed near Erie and Firestone. Hail up
to 1 3/4 inches was observed 5 to 6 miles west-southwest
of Byers. The golfball size hail caused extensive damage
to a wheat field. In Aurora... six children received minor
injuries when lightning struck a nearby tree. The
injuries occurred when they were knocked down by the blast.
None of the children suffered Burns or appeared to have
been directly hit by lightning.
- Alabama - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Dense Smoke Advisory
- Arizona - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Record Report
- Colorado - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Flash Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Kansas - Areal Flood Warning , Record Report
- Kentucky - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Flood Advisory
- Mississippi - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Montana - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- North Carolina - Coastal Hazard Statement , Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Ohio - Flash Flood Watch
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Advisory
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- Tennessee - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning
- Virginia - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- West Virginia - Flash Flood Watch
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement