Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Boulder And Jefferson Counties Below 6000 Feet/West Broomfield County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on September 17, 2014
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
15-17 in 2000... unusually hot weather for so late in the season
occurred when temperatures climbed into the 90's setting
daily record maximum temperatures on each of the 3 days.
The high temperature was 92 degrees on the 15th and 95
degrees on both the 16th and 17th.
15-19 in 1906... rain on 5 consecutive days totaled 1.61 inches.
A thunderstorm occurred on the 17th. High temperatures
ranged from 48 degrees on the 16th to 65 degrees on the
15th. Low temperatures were in the lower to mid 40's.
16-19 in 1971... a record breaking early fall snow storm caused
extensive damage to trees and utility lines. The heavy wet
snow occurred with little wind... but caused record breaking
cold temperatures for so early in the season. Snowfall
totaled 15.6 inches at Stapleton International Airport
with most of the snowfall... 12.0 inches... occurring on the
17th. This was the heaviest first snow of the season.
The maximum snow depth on the ground was 13 inches.
Record low temperatures were set on three consecutive days:
31 degrees on the 17th... 23 degrees on the 18th... and 20
degrees on the 19th... which was also a new all-time record
minimum for the month at that time. Record low maximum
temperatures were set on 4 consecutive days: 48 degrees
on the 16th... 35 degrees on the 17th... 40 degrees on the 18th...
and 42 degrees on the 19th.
17 in 1873... brisk west to northwest winds at different times
during the day... generally in sudden gusts... spread a good
deal of dust into the city.
In 1953... strong winds caused thousands of dollars in damage
to Boulder. The winds blew for most of the day with great
gustiness... and a freak twister was reported during the
afternoon. Damage was minor. A thunderstorm wind gust
to 40 mph caused some blowing dust at Stapleton Airport.
In 1992... a tornado touched down briefly near Bennett. No
damage was reported.
In 1993... severe thunderstorms rumbled across northern
portions of Metro Denver. Hail as large as 1 3/4 inches
in diameter fell in Brighton. Dime size hail damaged
several roofs of residences in Lafayette.
In 2000... for the second day in a row... the high temperature
of 95 degrees at Denver International Airport broke three
record temperature extremes: the high temperature broke
the previous record for the day of 94 degrees set in 1895;
it marked the warmest it has been for so late in the season;
it also marked the 61st day in the year that the temperature
had equaled or exceeded 90 degrees... eclipsing the record
equaled the previous day and first set on September 29...
- Alaska - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - Flash Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Indiana - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement , Record Report
- Louisiana - Dense Fog Advisory
- Michigan - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Nebraska - Dense Fog Advisory
- Nevada - Flash Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch
- New York - Freeze Watch
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Special Statement , Record Report
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Special Statement
- South Dakota - Special Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement