Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, North Douglas County Below 6000 Feet/Denver/West Adams and Arapahoe Counties/East Broomfield County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on July 06, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
29-15 in 2000... the 29th marked the beginning of a near record hot
streak for Metro Denver. The high temperatures... as recorded
at Denver International Airport... exceeded the 90 degree mark
for 17 consecutive days from June 29th through July 15th.
The record of 24 consecutive 90 degree or above days was
set from July 13th through August 5th... 2008.
1-18 in 1874... a streak of 18 consecutive days of 90 degrees
tied for second with another streak that was later set
in the Summer of 1901. The record of 24 consecutive days
was established in the Summer of 2008.
1-31 in 2012... it was the hottest July on record in Denver since
weather records began in 1872. The average temperature for
the month was 78.9 degrees which was 4.7 degrees above
normal. There were 27 days in which the high temperature
equaled or exceeded 90 degrees... which established a new
record. There were also 7 days in which the temperature
equaled or exceeded 100 degrees which tied the record
set in 2005.
4-8 in 1989... one of the most intense heat waves on record roasted
Metro Denver. The temperature reached 100 degrees or more
on 5 consecutive days. The city had previously never
recorded more than 2 straight 100-degree days since records
began in 1872. Water and electricity usage reached all time
highs. The heat wave created extremely dry weather
conditions... which contributed to a major Forest fire in
Boulder Canyon on July 9th. The temperature reached 103
degrees on the 8th... and the Mercury climbed to 101 degrees
on both the 4th and 5th... and to 102 degrees on both the
6th and 7th. The low temperature of 68 degrees on the 8th
equaled the record high minimum for the date.
6 in 1876... the high temperature reached 101 degrees in
In 1943... four people were injured by lightning in Denver
during a severe early evening thunderstorm. At least
two houses were set on fire by the lightning. One house
had $1500 in damage and the other $1000.
In 1959... wind and lightning caused some damage in Metro
Denver. Wind gusts to 67 mph blew down power lines... signs...
and trees. Lightning struck several transformers... leaving
many areas without power.
In 1971... a microburst wind gust to 68 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport.
In 1973... the temperature reached a high of 103 degrees.
This was the second consecutive day with a temperature
of 100 degrees or more.
In 1984... a weak tornado moved through eastern Aurora. About
10 homes sustained minor damage to roofs; some sections of
fence were thrown more than a block. Soft hail... an inch in
diameter... fell over central Aurora... and 1.35 inches of rain
fell in just 45 minutes... 5 miles east of Buckley field.
Torrential rain and hail stopped traffic on I-225 in central
Aurora for 15 minutes. Street flooding was widespread. A
wind gust to 57 mph was recorded in southeast Aurora. A
wind gust to 66 mph was reported at Front Range Airport near
Bennett. Northwest winds gusted to 44 mph at Stapleton
International Airport where only 1/8 inch hail fell.
In 1986... one inch diameter hail fell near Conifer in the
foothills west of Denver. The storm produced 1.50 inches of
rain in an hour with a storm total of 2.15 inches. Nearby
Buffalo Creek was drenched with 0.80 inch of rain in
just 10 minutes.
In 1996... 3/4 inch diameter hail fell in Bennett... east of
Denver. Hail... as large as 1 1/2 inches in diameter...
damaged several vehicles in the parking lot of the
Colorado Speedway Race Track near Dacono north of Denver.
Several trees were also damaged.
In 2001... a severe thunderstorm wind gust to 59 mph was
recorded at Denver International Airport... along with small
In 2009... hail up to 1 inch in diameter was observed near
In 2010... heavy rain caused flash flooding near Interstate 70
at the Byers Exit. Two feet of water was observed moving
across the bottom of exit ramp. One car was washed into a
tree but no one was injured. In addition... severe
thunderstorms produced hail up to 1 1/2 inches in diameter
near Franktown. At Denver International Airport... only 0.01
inches of rainfall was observed. A peak wind gust to 45
mph from the west was also recorded.
6-23 in 1901... a streak of 18 consecutive days of 90 degrees
tied for second with another streak set in the Summer of
1874. The record of 24 consecutive days was established in
the Summer of 2008.
- Alaska - Dense Smoke Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Arizona - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- California - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch
- Kentucky - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- Ohio - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- South Dakota - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Virginia - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- West Virginia - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report