Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, North and Northeast Elbert County Below 6000 Feet/North Lincoln County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on October 13, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
11-13 in 1892... apparent Post-frontal rainfall totaled 3.33
inches in downtown Denver over the 3 days. A trace
of snow on the 12th melted as it fell. Rainfall of
2.58 inches on the 12th into the 13th was the greatest
24-hour precipitation ever recorded during the month of
October. Northwest winds were sustained to 48 mph with
gusts as high as 55 mph on the 12th.
12-13 in 2001... overnight peak wind gusts to 82 mph and 70 mph
were measured atop Niwot Ridge and Squaw Mountain...
12-14 in 1969... record breaking extremely cold temperatures for so
early in the season occurred. The high temperature of
26 degrees on the 13th was two degrees lower than the
previous record minimum temperature of 28 degrees for the
date set in 1885. The high temperature of 24 degrees on
the 12th exceeded the record low temperature (22 degrees
set in 1885) for the date by only 2 degrees. In addition...
3 new record low temperatures for the dates were set. The
low temperature dipped to 10 degrees on the 12th breaking
the old record (22 degrees in 1885) by 12 degrees. On the
13th the Mercury plunged to a low of 3 degrees breaking the
old record (28 degrees in 1885) by 25 degrees. On the 14th
the temperature reached a minimum of 4 degrees breaking the
old record (25 degrees in 1966) by 21 degrees.
13 in 1990... strong downslope winds stirred up clouds of dust and
gravel... rattled windows... and stripped autumn-colored leaves
from trees in Boulder. A wind gust to 78 mph was clocked
in southwest Boulder... while a 96 mph gust was recorded in
northwest Boulder. West winds gusted to only 36 mph at
Stapleton International Airport.
13-14 in 1910... light smoke from nearby Forest fires drifted over
In 1966... the first measurable snow of the season caused
widespread damage to trees and shrubs. The heavy wet snow
totaled 6.9 inches at Stapleton International Airport
where north-northwest winds sustained at 20 to 25 mph and
gusting to 45 mph caused much blowing and drifting snow.
South and east of Denver... up to a foot of snow fell. Heavy
wet snow accumulations followed by freezing temperatures and
strong winds resulted in extensive damage to trees... cars...
and utility lines by falling limbs. A woman was killed by
a falling snow laden tree limb in Denver. Several other
people received minor injuries from falling tree limbs.
In 1987... rain drenched Metro Denver. The South Platte canyon
area southwest of Denver received the most with 1.11
inches at Kassler and 1.49 inches upstream at strontia
Springs. At Stapleton International Airport... 0.62 inch
of rain was measured... northwest winds gusted to 29 mph... and
thunder was heard.
In 2007... a new 24-hour record of 2.65 inches of precipitation
was set at Denver International Airport for the month of
october; breaking the previous record of 2.58 inches set in
13-16 in 1873... smoke from several large Forest fires in the mountains
made the air very hazy in the city.
- Alabama - Dense Fog Advisory
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Freeze Watch, Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Areal Flood Advisory
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement , Record Report
- Louisiana - Record Report
- Maine - Special Statement
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Fire Weather Warning
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Hampshire - Special Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning
- Tennessee - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- - Small Craft Advisory
- - Small Craft Advisory