Current Watches and Warnings
Hawaii, Lanai Mauka
Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 6:05 PM HST on July 23, 2016
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Sunday afternoon...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* Kahoolawe... Lanai... Maui... Molokai and The Big Island
* through Sunday afternoon.
* Passing rainbands will bring periods of showers. There is a
chance for intense downpours or thunderstorms to develop
tonight... mainly near The Big Island... spreading to Maui County
late tonight. If heavier storms develop... they could cause
significant flash flooding. Storm total rainfall amounts of 8 to
12 inches... with isolated amounts up to 15 inches in higher
terrain... are possible.
* In addition to flood prone areas... heavy rain events of this
size may cause flooding in areas outside designated flood zones. Low
spots in roads can become dangerous and impassable due to severe
runoff. High amounts of debris in streams and gulches may clog
bridges and culverts resulting in dangerous flooding which could
occur outside the normal channels... and could also lead to
significant property damage.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is very dangerous.
You should monitor later forecasts and get prepared for flash
flooding this weekend. Never drive into areas where water covers
the Road. Turn around... Don/T drown.
Tropical Storm Warning
Statement as of 12:01 AM HST on July 24, 2016
Expires 2:15 PM EDT on July 24, 2016
... Tropical Storm Warning remains in effect...
... Precautionary/preparedness actions...
Everyone should now be inside. Remain alert and away from windows
and external doors.
Tropical storms can bring very heavy rain leading to flash
flooding. People near streams... rivers... and low- lying flood
prone areas are urged to be especially alert to flash flooding.
... Inland flooding...
passing rainbands will bring periods of showers. There is a chance
for intense downpours or thunderstorms to develop early this
morning... mainly near The Big Island and Maui County... and then
spreading to Oahu and Kauai later Sunday. If heavier storms
develop... they could cause significant flash flooding. Additional
rainfall totals of 5 to 10 inches with local amounts up to 15
inches are expected with Tropical Storm Darby. This would yield
isolated total rainfall amounts of up to 25 inches for The Big
Island. For Maui County islands... storm totals up to 5 to 10
inches with isolated amounts of 15 inches are expected. On
Oahu... 3 to 5 inches with isolated totals of 10 inches are
expected. Kauai County islands may see rainfall totals of 3 to 5
inches. See the Flash Flood Watch for more details.
localized damaging winds of 30 to 40 mph can be expected with
Darby... along with gusts of 50 to 60 mph or greater. These winds
are most likely over mountainous terrain... through passes...
and to the west or southwest of the mountains where winds will
be blowing downslope.
Loose items... such as garbage cans and outdoor furniture... will
be blown around. Newly planted or Young trees and shrubs may be
uprooted if not secured properly. Isolated power outages will be
... Storm surge and storm tide...
surf along east facing shores of The Big Island and Maui will be
15 to 20 feet... lowering to 10 to 15 feet on Sunday. Surf along
east facing shores of Kauai... Oahu... and Molokai will be 10 to 14
feet... lowering to 6 to 9 feet on Sunday. See the high surf
product for more details.
... Probability of tropical storm/hurricane conditions...
tropical storm conditions have been occurring on The Big
Island and over Maui County. The chance for tropical storm
conditions is 41 percent at Honolulu... 41 percent at joint based
Pearl Harbor hickam... 48 percent at Lihue and 40 percent at
Niihau. Wind conditions will continue to improve on The Big Island
through this morning.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning
- Arkansas - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- California - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Delaware - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Hawaii - Tropical Storm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, High Surf Warning , Flash Flood Watch, High Surf Advisory , High Surf Advisory
- Illinois - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Iowa - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Excessive Heat Warning
- Kentucky - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Louisiana - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Maryland - Heat Advisory
- Massachusetts - Heat Advisory
- Michigan - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Mississippi - Flash Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Record Report
- New Jersey - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Excessive Heat Watch , Record Report
- New York - Excessive Heat Watch , Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Ohio - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Tennessee - Heat Advisory
- Texas - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Heat Advisory
- West Virginia - Heat Advisory
- Wisconsin - Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report