Current Watches and Warnings
Hawaii, Big Island Interior
Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 3:59 PM HST on August 29, 2016
Expires 12:00 PM EDT on September 02, 2016
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect from Wednesday morning
through late Thursday night...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* The Big Island.
* From Wednesday morning through late Thursday night
* deep moisture associated with Hurricane Madeline is expected to
impact The Big Island by Wednesday morning... bringing the threat
of heavy flooding rainfall through late Thursday. The greatest
initial flood threat will be over windward slopes... with the
entire island experiencing a flood threat from later Wednesday
through Thursday. Depending on the exact track of Madeline...
additional islands may be added to this watch.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is very dangerous.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action
should flash flood warnings be issued.
Statement as of 5:15 PM HST on August 29, 2016
Expires 6:30 AM EDT on August 30, 2016
... Hurricane Watch remains in effect...
... Precautionary/preparedness actions...
Cover windows with shutters or plywood. Taping windows is not
recommended because it offers little strength to the glass and no
protection from flying debris. Any objects that could be picked
up and thrown by the wind such as lumber... lawn furniture...
garbage cans... and other items should be stored indoors. Brace
exterior doors... including garage doors.
Prepare for extended power outages. If you need to make a trip to
the hardware store... the grocery store... or the gas station... do
so as early as possible.
... Probability of tropical storm/hurricane conditions...
the chance for hurricane conditions at Hilo is 7 percent...
Kailua-Kona is 5 percent... and South Point is 16 percent.
Also... the chance for tropical storm conditions at Hilo is 63
percent... at Kailua-Kona is 56 percent... and at South Point
is 73 percent. This represents a slight upward trend since
the last forecast. The onset of tropical storm conditions
could occur as early as Wednesday morning.
although changes are still possible... the latest forecast is for
tropical storm force winds of 39 mph or higher from late
Wednesday afternoon to late Thursday morning. Depending on the
exact track of Madeline... there is the possibility of
significant wind damage... including downed trees and power
lines... and damage to roofs and weak structures.
... Storm surge and storm tide...
large and damaging surf is possible along east facing shores.
Surf is expected to build to 10 to 18 feet on Tuesday..and to 15
to 25 feet on Wednesday and Wednesday night. This may cause
significant wave runup or damage to coastal properties and
infrastructure... including roadways. Powerful longshore and
rip currents will be present at most beaches. Large breaking
waves and strong currents may impact Harbor entrances and
channels causing challenging boat handling.
... Inland flooding...
a Flash Flood Watch is in effect. Although some uncertainty
remains regarding the track of Madeline... deep moisture
associated with the hurricane is expected to impact The Big
Island by Wednesday morning... bringing the threat of heavy
flooding rainfall through late Thursday. Total rain
accumulations of 5 to 10 inches are possible... with isolated
maximum amounts near 15 inches... especially over windward
portions of The Big Island. This rainfall may lead to
dangerous flash floods and mudslides. Refer to the watch for
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Beach Hazard Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Hurricane Watch , High Surf Advisory , High Surf Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Flood Watch
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Watch
- Minnesota - Flash Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Coastal Flood Watch
- Missouri - Flash Flood Watch
- Montana - Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Nevada - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- New Jersey - Beach Hazard Statement
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Tropical Storm Warning , Hurricane Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Watch
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning
- South Carolina - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Coastal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning