Current Watches and Warnings
Idaho, Lower Snake River Plain
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:43 PM MST on December 19, 2014
... name change for the falls river...
Idaho authorities have asked the National Weather Service in
Pocatello to change the name of the falls river to the Fall River.
This change provides a consistency with official documents published
in 1997. The name change is effective immediately... and impacts
four stream gages on the river.
The name change affects four gages on the fall river: gage fayi1
above the Yellowstone canal... gage fali1 near Squirrel... gage
frai1 near Ashton... and chei1 near Chester.
The Fall River is a tributary of the Henry's Fork which begins in
western Wyoming near Yellowstone National Park... and flows into
the Henry's Fork near Chester.
Historically... the river was referred to as the Middle Fork of
the Snake River... or as fall/falls river by trappers and
prospectors as early as the 1830s. The official name... falls
river... was made by the Hayden geological survey in 1872... but
always called the Fall River by local residents. As a result... the
U. S. Board on geographic names... changed the official name to
the Fall River in 1997. This name change is now reflected on our
advanced hydrologic prediction service webpage at
Simply click on any of the stream-gage sites to view what the
river is doing.
For further information, please contact our service
hydrologist... Corey Loveland... at 208-232-9306... or via our
webpage at weather.Gov/Pocatello.
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - High Surf Advisory , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Maine - Record Report
- Mississippi - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Weather Statement
- Nevada - Winter Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Dense Fog Advisory
- Oregon - Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Special Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Coastal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , Winter Storm Watch , Dense Fog Advisory