Current Watches and Warnings
Dense Fog Advisory
Statement as of 6:34 AM CDT on August 31, 2015
Expires 11:00 AM EDT on August 31, 2015
... Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am CDT this morning...
The National Weather Service in Wichita has issued a dense fog
advisory... which is in effect until 10 am CDT this morning.
* Timing... areas of dense fog will develop and affect portions
of central and south central Kansas this morning.
* Impacts... visibilities will drop down to a quarter of a mile
in spots. Motorists need to be alert for abrupt changes in
A dense fog advisory means visibilities will frequently be
reduced to less than one quarter mile. If driving... slow down.
Use your headlights and leave plenty of distance ahead of you.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:00 AM CDT on August 31, 2015
... On this date in weather history...
In 1964... a strong F4 tornado struck extreme western
Russell County. Starting 4 miles north northeast of
Gorham and moving north... the tornado possessed a track 9
miles long and around 200 yards wide. The tornado
destroyed one farmhouse... but fortunately there were no
injuries or fatalities. In 2000... Wichita experienced
its second hottest August on record... with an average
monthly temperature of 86.6 degrees at Mid Continent
Airport. Wichita's hottest August on record occurred in
1936 with an average monthly temperature of 89.0 degrees.
In 2005... Wichita experienced its wettest August on
record when 11.96 inches of rain swamped Mid Continent
Airport. The driest August on record occurred in 1913
when no measurable rainfall occurred. That is obviously
one record that will never be broken.
- Alaska - High Surf Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , Frost Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Record Report
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , High Surf Warning , Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Dense Fog Advisory
- Indiana - Dense Fog Advisory
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Kansas - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Michigan - Dense Fog Advisory
- Minnesota - Special Statement , Special Weather Statement
- Montana - Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Weather Statement
- Oregon - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Special Statement , Record Report
- Texas - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement , Special Weather Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report , Public Information Statement