Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:45 AM EDT on August 29, 2014
Expires 11:00 PM EDT on August 30, 2014
... Beach hazards statement in effect from this evening through
The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids has issued a beach
hazards statement for dangerous swimming conditions... which is in
effect from this evening through Saturday evening.
* High wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
conditions expected for tonight and Saturday.
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions Saturday
South Beach in South Haven...
Grand Haven State Park...
Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... winds will increase today...
especially north of Whitehall. Waves will build a bit today when
there is a moderate risk of swim hazards. A high risk of swim
hazards will develop tonight and Saturday as winds and waves
increase a bit more.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Alaska - Frost Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- California - High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Illinois - Areal Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Maine - High Surf Advisory
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement