Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 2:52 AM EDT on July 01, 2016
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions on Friday
North Beach in South Haven... Holland State Park... Muskegon State
Park... Mears State Park in Pentwater... Stearns Park in Ludington.
* Overview/potential impacts..northwest winds of 15 to 25 mph will
result in 3 to 6 foot waves today. Winds and waves will diminish
this evening. Very dangerous currents can be expected on the
north side of piers and breakwalls.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Alaska - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Areal Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- California - Flash Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - Wind Advisory
- Illinois - Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Missouri - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Record Report
- New York - Beach Hazard Statement
- Oregon - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Areal Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Special Statement, Air Quality Alert , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Flash Flood Watch
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report