Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Northern Jackson
Winter Storm Watch
Statement as of 4:23 AM EDT on October 30, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on November 01, 2014
... Winter Storm Watch in effect from Friday evening through
The National Weather Service in Greenville-Spartanburg has issued
a Winter Storm Watch... which is in effect from Friday evening
through Saturday evening.
* Locations... North Carolina mountain counties along the Tennessee
border... and northern Jackson and Buncombe counties.
* Hazards... heavy snowfall.
* Timing... showers will likely develop Friday evening... starting
out as rain or a mix... then changing over to snow overnight as
snow levels drop to the valley floors by daybreak Saturday.
Numerous snow showers will likely linger through the day on
Saturday... before tapering off early Saturday evening.
* Accumulations... storm total amounts of 1 to 3 inches in the
valleys... and 3 to 6 inches above 3500 ft are likely. A few
ridge top locations may see locally higher amounts.
* Impacts... the heavy wet snow could produce isolated tree and
power line damage. Road surfaces may see slightly less snow
accumulation... but bridges and overpasses will likely remain
snow covered and icy.
* Temperatures... will fall from the lower 40s and upper 30s to
below freezing overnight Friday night... as snow levels fall.
Then some rebound in the valleys to the mid 30s to lower
40s... while elevations above 3500 ft will generally stay below
freezing. All mountain areas will then fall below freezing
* Winds... northwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
* Visibility... significant reduction in visiblity can be expected
at times within the snow showers.
A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow... sleet... or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.
Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio or your favorite source of
weather information for the latest updates. Additional details
can be found at www.Weather.Gov/gsp.
- Arkansas - Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning
- California - Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Illinois - Lakeshore Flood Advisory , Freeze Watch , Special Statement
- Indiana - Lakeshore Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Freeze Warning , Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Massachusetts - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Lakeshore Flood Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Advisory
- Missouri - Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning , Special Statement
- Montana - Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement
- New Hampshire - Special Statement
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Frost Advisory, Winter Storm Watch , Winter Storm Watch , Record Report
- Oklahoma - Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning
- South Carolina - Record Report
- Tennessee - Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Watch
- Wisconsin - Wind Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Special Statement