Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Outer Banks Hyde
Beach Hazard Statement, High Surf Advisory
Statement as of 8:17 PM EDT on April 24, 2018
Expires 2:00 PM EDT on April 25, 2018
... High surf advisory now in effect until 2 PM EDT Wednesday...
... Beach hazards statement in effect from 8 am EDT Wednesday
through Wednesday evening...
The National Weather Service in Newport/Morehead City has issued
a beach hazards statement, which is in effect from 8 am EDT
Wednesday through Wednesday evening.
* Hazards... dangerous rip currents and rough surf.
* Locations... ocean side Dare and Hyde counties.
* Surf height... 5 to 8 feet.
* Timing and tides... the most likely time for strong rip currents
to occur is a couple hours either side of low tide, which will
occur around 1030 am Wednesday.
* Timing... through Wednesday.
* Impacts... minor beach erosion and overwash will be possible.
Dangerous rip currents expected.
A high surf advisory means that high surf will affect beaches in
the advisory area, producing localized beach erosion and
dangerous swimming conditions.
If caught in a rip current remain calm. Don't fight the current.
Swim in a direction following the shoreline. When out of the
current, swim back to shore. If tired, float or tread water until
out of the rip current. If unable to escape, face the shore and
call or wave for help.
Shore break occurs when waves break directly on the beach. The
most common injuries with strong shore break are neck and back
injuries, which most often occur when the powerful surf throws a
swimmer or surfer head first into the bottom. It is extremely
important to protect your head and neck whenever you are in
breaking waves by keeping your hands in front of you at all times.
- Alabama - Flood Warning
- Alaska - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Record Report
- Colorado -
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- Idaho - Areal Flood Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Flood Warning
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Flood Advisory
- Minnesota - Flood Warning
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Montana - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report , Record Report
- Nevada -
- New Mexico - Wind Advisory
- North Carolina - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flood Advisory , High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement, High Surf Advisory , Special Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Flood Warning
- Oregon - Record Report
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement
- Utah - Record Report
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning