Current Watches and Warnings
Nevada, Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 9:03 PM PDT on July 31, 2015
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Saturday evening...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* portions of northwest Arizona and Nevada... including the
following areas... in northwest Arizona... Lake Mead National
Recreation Area... northwest deserts and northwest plateau. In
Nevada... Lake Mead National Recreation Area... Las Vegas
Valley... Lincoln County... northeast Clark County... Sheep
Range... southern Clark County... Spring Mountains-Red Rock
Canyon and western Clark and southern Nye County.
* Through Saturday evening
* an upper level disturbance is forecast to move north across
the region late tonight through Saturday. Therefore the Flash
Flood Watch has been extended through Saturday evening. High
moisture content remains in place in the atmosphere across the
area. Any stronger or slower moving thunderstorms could
unleash heavy rainfall in a quick period of time. Rainfall
totals of 1 to 2 inches in an hour or less... with locally
higher amounts... are possible in some cases.
* Impacts... roads could be closed due to water flowing over them
as well as mud and rocks washing onto them. Roadway pavement
may be washed away. Some dirt and secondary gravel roads could
be washed out. Rapid rises in washes could also occur leading
to flash flooding downstream. Any burn areas... such as the
CArpenter 1 burn area on Mount Charleston... could also see
debris flows take place if heavy rain falls on or runs onto
the burned landscape.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action
should flash flood warnings be issued.
Statement as of 9:56 PM PDT on July 31, 2015
... Record number of days with precipitation for July set at Bishop...
Counting today, July 31st, a total of 14 days this month had a trace
or more of precipitation fall in Bishop, California at the official
weather station at the eastern Sierra regional Airport. This sets a
new all-time record for July. The previous record was 12 days set in
This is now the second month this year to see a record number of
days with precipitation at Bishop. Back in may there was a record 15
days with a trace or more of precipitation.
For may, June and July of 2015 combined there have been 36 days with
a trace or more of precipitation. This is one day less than what was
recorded in 2013 in Bishop which had 37 days with a trace or more of
precipitation for the entire year. Also... this past cold season from
October 1st through April 30th only saw a total of 20 days with a
trace or more of precipitation at Bishop.
The above information is preliminary and subject to a final review.
For final certified data please contact the office of noaa's
National centers for environmental information (ncei) located in
Asheville, North Carolina.
- Alaska - Dense Smoke Advisory
- Arizona - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Coastal Hazard Statement , Flash Flood Watch , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Fire Weather Watch
- Nebraska - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nevada - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- North Carolina - Coastal Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Oklahoma - Flash Flood Watch
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Carolina - Record Report
- Texas - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Record Report
- Washington - Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement