Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Genesee
Areal Flood Warning
Statement as of 10:28 AM EST on November 24, 2014
Expires 1:36 AM EST on November 26, 2014
1011 am EST Mon Nov 24 2014
... The Flood Warning remains in effect until 415 PM EST for Erie...
northern Chautauqua... Wyoming... southern Genesee and northwestern
Temperatures will warm into the lower to mid 60s through this
afternoon. While rainfall over the past 24 hours has only amounted
to less than a quarter across the areas that received the heaviest
snowfall over the last week... there remains a considerable amount of
water locked up in the remaining snowpack and the rate of snow melt
will intensify with the rising temperatures so that significant
melting of the water laden snow pack will lead to areas of flooding.
Meanwhile the potential for ice jam flooding has likely ended.
Residents near creeks are urged to take precautions to prepare for
possible flooding now... including moving items from basements.
Since many storm drains are snow clogged... many urban areas will
likely experience flooding with several feet of water possibly
accumulating on some stretches of Road. Some residential basements
will flood. The threat for structural failure will increase through
In addition... wind speeds will continue to increase this afternoon
and tonight. These winds will bring down some trees and power
lines... possibly causing scattered power outages. This will also
cause sump pumps to fail.
A Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or has been reported.
Stream rises will be slow and flash flooding is not expected.
However... all interested parties should take necessary precautions
Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will cause elevated levels on
small creeks and streams... and ponding of water in urban areas...
highways... streets and underpasses as well as other poor drainage
areas and low lying spots.
Do not drive your vehicle into areas where the water covers the
roadway. The water depth may be too great to allow your car to cross
safely. Move to higher ground.
Lat... Lon 4242 7946 4250 7935 4256 7916 4271 7904
4271 7899 4276 7889 4279 7886 4290 7891
4301 7849 4302 7795 4253 7807 4253 7848
4244 7877 4230 7968
The Flood Warning continues for
the Ellicott creek near Williamsville
* until late Tuesday night.
* At 9 am Monday the stage was 3.5 feet and rising.
* Flood stage is 8.0 feet.
* Minor flooding is forecast.
* Forecast... the river is expected to rise above flood stage this
afternoon and crest near 8.5 feet this afternoon.
* Impact... at 8.0 feet... flood stage, some flooding begins along aero
drive from Holtz to transit roads in Cheektowaga. Also some
flooding along the flood control project area in Amherst such as
the bike path and Golf course. Minor flooding in Ellicott Creek
Park. Little or no overall damage.
Lat... Lon 4293 7875 4301 7889 4304 7889 4304 7875
4295 7865 4293 7865
High Wind Warning
Statement as of 9:57 AM EST on November 24, 2014
Expires 4:00 AM EST on November 25, 2014
... High Wind Warning remains in effect from 1 PM this afternoon
to 4 am EST Tuesday...
* locations... Niagara... Orleans... Genesee... Monroe... Wyoming and
northern Erie counties.
* Timing... early this afternoon through late tonight.
* Winds... southwest 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 60 mph.
* Impacts... winds of this magnitude could bring down some trees
and power lines resulting in scattered power outages. Due to
the recent melting of the past weeks heavy snow... an
unfrozen... saturated ground will make it easier for some
trees to be toppled... especially shallow rooted pines. These
winds will also make difficult travel for high profile
vehicles. In addition... Holiday decorations could be damaged
and other loose outdoor items such as trash cans could be
Power outages could also exacerbate flooding concerns for those
with flooded basements as sump pumps would not work without an
emergency... generator power supply.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Freezing Rain Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Freeze Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Tornado Watch , Lake Wind Advisory
- American Samoa - Flash Flood Watch
- Florida - Tornado Watch , Coastal Hazard Statement , Fire Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Georgia - Special Statement , Record Report
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Idaho - Winter Storm Watch
- Illinois - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Tornado Watch , Flood Warning , Record Report
- Maryland - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Winter Storm Watch
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Tornado Watch
- Pennsylvania - Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Tennessee - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Tornado Watch , Record Report
- Vermont - Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Winter Storm Watch
- West Virginia - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- - Tornado Watch
- - Gale Warning
- - Small Craft Advisory