Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Southern Nassau
Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:56 PM EDT on September 03, 2015
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on September 04, 2015
... High rip current risk in effect from Friday afternoon through
The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a high rip
current risk... which is in effect from Friday afternoon through
* Locations... Atlantic Ocean beaches.
* Rip current risk... high.
* Surf height... 3 to 4 ft.
* Lightning risk... low in the morning.
* Timing... Friday afternoon and evening.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Talk to lifeguards and beach officials to
learn about any surf hazards and heed their advice. Pay attention
to flags and posted signs and swim in life guarded areas.
If you become caught in a rip current... Yell for help. Remain
calm... do not exhaust yourself and stay afloat while waiting for
help. If you have to swim out of a rip current... swim parallel to
shore. Once you are away from the force of the rip current...
begin to swim back toward the beach. Do not attempt to swim
directly against a rip current as you will tire quickly.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- California - Lake Wind Advisory , Frost Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , High Surf Warning, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning
- Indiana - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flood Warning
- Kansas - Record Report
- Kentucky - Air Quality Alert
- Michigan - Areal Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Blowing Dust Advisory , Blowing Dust Advisory, Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- North Dakota - Record Report
- Oregon - Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Utah - Wind Advisory, High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement