Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Southern Nassau
Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:27 AM EDT on August 03, 2015
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on August 03, 2015
... High rip current risk remains in effect from 2 PM EDT this
afternoon through this evening...
* locations... ocean beaches of New York City and Long Island.
* Rip current risk... becoming high.
* Surf height... 2 to 3 ft... building to 3 to 4 ft in the
* Lightning risk... none.
* Timing... late Monday afternoon and evening.
Talk to lifeguards and beach officials to learn about any surf
hazards and heed their advice. Pay attention to flags and posted
signs and swim in life guarded areas.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers.
If you become caught in a rip current... Yell for help. Remain
calm... do not exhaust yourself and stay afloat while waiting for
help. If you have to swim out of a rip current... swim parallel to
shore. Once you are away from the force of the rip current...
begin to swim back toward the beach. Do not attempt to swim
directly against a rip current as you will tire quickly.
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Wind Advisory , Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Coastal Flood Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Record Report
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning
- Montana - Record Report
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Ohio - Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Beach Hazard Statement
- Texas - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Wyoming - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement