Current Watches and Warnings
Texas, Coastal Cameron
High Surf Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 9:48 PM CDT on September 01, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 02, 2014
... High rip current risk remains in effect through Tuesday
... High surf advisory in effect from 1 PM Tuesday to 7 PM CDT
The National Weather Service in Brownsville has issued a high
surf advisory... which is in effect from 1 PM Tuesday to 7 PM CDT
* Waves and surf... seas will build to 5 to 8 feet offshore the
Lower Texas coast Tuesday and continue to build to 6 to 9 feet
* Timing... hazardous conditions will occur at local beaches through
at least Wednesday afternoon... as swells from the east to
southeast reach the Lower Texas coast.
* Impacts... long period swells will result in frequent life
threatening rip currents. Rough surf will make swimming
hazardous for those entering the water. The high surf will also
produce minor to moderate beach erosion... especially to dunes.
Any personal property left on the beach... such as umbrellas or
chairs... may be damaged by the waves.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach
patrol. Pay attention to flags and posted signs.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current. ..begin to swim back to the beach. Do
not attempt to swim directly against a rip current. Even a strong
swimmer can become exhausted quickly.
A high surf advisory is issued when dangerous water action is
expected along the coast. This includes rough or high surf...
large breaking waves... rip currents... and strong undertow. High
surf is defined generally to be head high or greater on an
average man... about 6 feet or more.
Beach goers are urged to heed flag warnings.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , High Surf Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning
- California - Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Record Report
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Indiana - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Missouri - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Montana - Flood Warning , High Wind Warning
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- New Mexico - Record Report
- North Carolina - Record Report
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Flash Flood Watch
- Oklahoma - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Special Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Texas - Coastal Hazard Statement , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Virginia - Record Report
- Washington - Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report