Current Watches and Warnings
Statement as of 6:33 AM CDT on April 21, 2014
Expires 11:00 AM EDT on April 21, 2014
425 am CDT Mon Apr 21 2014
... Areas of dense fog will affect the morning commute...
Areas of dense fog will be found across the region this
morning... and will reduce visibilities to less than a quarter
mile at times. The dense fog will be most widespread across
north central and central Wisconsin... including the Wisconsin
River Valley. Foggy conditions will result in hazardous travel
conditions for the morning commute to work or school... but
gradual improvement in visibilities should occur between 8 am
and 10 am.
Motorists should be alert for rapid changes in visibility in fog
this morning. When driving in fog... be sure to slow down... keep
a safe distance from other vehicles... and use your low beam
... Patchy dense fog will affect the morning commute...
Areas of fog will be found across much of the region this morning...
with patchy dense fog reducing visibilities to a quarter mile or
less at times. The fog may result in locally hazardous travel
conditions for the morning commute to work or school. The foggy
conditions should gradually improve between 8 am and 10 am.
Motorists should be alert for rapid changes in visibility due to
fog this morning. When driving in fog... be sure to slow down...
keep a safe distance from other vehicles... and use your low beam
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 8:10 AM CDT on April 21, 2014
... This week is tornado and severe weather awareness week in
Tornadoes are one of the most powerful and violent storms that nature
can produce. They come in all shapes and sizes and can occur in every
state... on any day of the year and at any hour of the day.
A tornado is a violently rotating column of air that extends from the
base of a thunderstorm down to the ground. The visible funnel cloud
that extends from the base of the storm cloud is not always visible down
to the ground. The Whirl of debris on the ground... however... is a sure
indication that a tornado has formed.
In Wisconsin... the peak tornado season is may through July. The peak
time period is between 2 PM and 10 PM. On average... Wisconsin
experiences 23 tornadoes each year... with an average of 1 fatality due
to tornado-related injuries. Last year the state was hit by 16
twisters... but no fatalities were reported. 2005 had a record 62
There were 10 tornadoes in northeast and north-central Wisconsin last
year... including 6 during the late night hours of August 6-7. In 2005...
a record 23 tornadoes were reported in northeast and north-central
Wisconsin. The average number of tornadoes during the year in this part
of the state is 7.
Noaa's National Weather Service issues a Tornado Watch to give you
advance notice that the development of tornadoes is possible in your
area. This gives you the time to make preliminary plans for moving to a
safe shelter quickly if a tornado is sighted.
A Tornado Warning is an urgent announcement that a tornado has been
reported by someone or indicated on radar... and warns you to take
immediate action. When a warning is issued..move quickly. Seconds save
Always monitor the weather conditions in your area. If severe weather is
a threat... stay tuned to your NOAA Weather Radio... and local TV and
radio stations... for the latest information on watches and warnings in
In the home or large building... your best choice for safety in a tornado
is an interior room with no windows... on the lowest level... preferably a
basement. If possible... get under a sturdy table or work bench. If a
basement is not available... your National Weather Service suggests that
you take cover in an interior closet... hallway or bathroom on the lowest
level of the building.
If you live in a Mobile home... you should be especially cautious during
times of possible severe weather. Most Mobile homes are not safe in
severe weather... especially tornadoes. The size and construction of
Mobile homes makes them particularly vulnerable to overturning in high
winds. When high winds or tornadic activity are imminent... Mobile homes
should be evacuated for a sturdy shelter.
For more information on severe weather... and the latest weather
forecast... go to the National Weather Service Green Bay web site at...
- Alabama - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Colorado - Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Flood Warning
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- Maine - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory , Flood Advisory
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Oregon - Special Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- Utah - High Wind Watch , Special Statement
- Vermont - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement