Current Watches and Warnings
Wyoming, Absaroka Mountains
High Wind Warning
Statement as of 4:51 PM MST on November 27, 2014
Expires 7:00 PM EST on November 29, 2014
... High Wind Warning remains in effect until 5 PM MST Saturday...
A High Wind Warning remains in effect until 5 PM MST Saturday.
* Summary and timing... strong west to southwest winds will continue
across the mountains tonight... occasionally mixing down into the
Cody foothills. Strong winds are expected to be more widespread
across the Cody foothills Friday and Friday night.
* Wind... west 30 to 45 mph with gusts near 60 mph in the lower
elevations... with gusts to 90 mph near Clark... especially Friday
and Friday night. West winds 40 to 60 mph with gusts 70 to 80
mph in the absarokas.
* Impacts... high winds may make travel dangerous for light and
high profile vehicles... especially between Cody and Clark
across Highway 120.
A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected
or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts
of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.
The latest Road conditions provided by the Wyoming Department of
Transportation are available by calling 5-1-1 or on the internet
Special Weather Statement
Statement as of 2:01 AM MST on November 20, 2014
Expires 6:00 PM EST on December 20, 2014
... Significant winter weather expected across the central and
northern mountains beginning Friday night and lasting through Sunday
Moisture will be on the increase from the eastern Pacific starting
today... continuing through Saturday night. Light areas of snow will
begin to fall across the higher mountains central and northern
Wyoming starting later today... continuing off and on through the day
Friday. The mountains will see from a half inch to two inches of
snowfall through the day on Friday from this initial system.
However... after midnight Friday... a much stronger and more moisture
laden system will run into the mountains with periods of light to
moderate snowfall... lasting through Saturday night. Heaviest snowfall
is currently expected between mid afternoon and midnight on Saturday
before tapering off to light snow showers by Sunday morning.
Additionally... west to southwest winds will increase rapidly
overnight Friday and through the day on Saturday... blowing 40 to 50
mph with gusts between 60 and 70 mph at times. With the mountains
likely to see 5 to 10 inches of new snowfall by Sunday morning... the
combination of both snow and wind may cause significant drifting
along with much reduced visibilities.
All travelers and outdoor enthusiasts should be prepared
for this snow and wind event along with the possibility of delayed
travel... particularly over the region's mountain passes. Please
check back with the National Weather Service in Riverton through the
rest of the week for future forecasts and statements concerning
the this event.
Statement as of 5:34 PM MST on November 27, 2014
... Record high temperature set at Riverton Wyoming today...
Temperatures warmed across the cowboy state today while under mostly
sunny skies and high pressure. This brought a new record high of 58
degrees at the Riverton Regional Airport this afternoon. This breaks
the old record of 53 that was set back in 1998.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 8:21 PM MST on November 27, 2014
... Preliminary storm information...
Peak wind gusts reports from 8 am to 8 PM today.
***** Wind reports *****
Location speed time/date
7 NW Lander (5797 ft) 75 mph 1241 PM 11/27
10 W Fort Washakie (9235 ft) 59 mph 1001 am 11/27
Crowheart (6099 ft) 57 mph 0132 PM 11/27
7 SW Muddy Gap (7380 ft) 55 mph 0150 PM 11/27
South Pass (8491 ft) 51 mph 0335 PM 11/27
2 W South Pass City (8185 ft) 49 mph 1226 PM 11/27
Red Canyon (6768 ft) 45 mph 1155 am 11/27
10 N DuBois (8085 ft) 41 mph 0457 PM 11/27
Lander Airport (5586 ft) 40 mph 0313 PM 11/27
8 W South Pass City (8120 ft) 40 mph 0150 PM 11/27
... Hot Springs...
Boysen Reservoir (7300 ft) 47 mph 1115 am 11/27
7 SW Barnum (6440 ft) 51 mph 1246 PM 11/27
12 N Kaycee (5287 ft) 45 mph 0506 PM 11/27
13 NNW Buffalo (4737 ft) 40 mph 0145 PM 11/27
5 ESE story (4673 ft) 40 mph 0201 PM 11/27
16 S Hiland (6380 ft) 46 mph 0110 PM 11/27
Casper Airport (5320 ft) 41 mph 1130 am 11/27
chief Joseph Hwy (8136 ft) 78 mph 1230 PM 11/27
8 N Meeteetse (5926 ft) 68 mph 1236 PM 11/27
5 WNW Clark (4659 ft) 68 mph 0845 am 11/27
10 WNW Cody (8401 ft) 56 mph 1240 PM 11/27
Meeteetse (5797 ft) 40 mph 0913 am 11/27
Summit - Jackson resort 58 mph 0130 PM 11/27
Observations are collected from a variety of sources with varying
equipment and exposure. Not all data listed are considered official.
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Tornado Watch
- California - Lake Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement , Record Report
- Delaware - Record Report
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Freeze Warning , Wind Chill Advisory , Fire Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Tornado Watch
- Maine - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Michigan - Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Winter Weather Advisory
- Montana - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Avalanche Warning , Record Report
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- New Hampshire - Record Report
- New Jersey - Special Statement , Record Report
- New York - Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- North Carolina - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Ohio - Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Tornado Watch
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Record Report
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Tornado Watch
- Utah - Special Weather Statement
- Vermont - Record Report
- Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Special Weather Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement