Current Watches and Warnings
Wyoming, Casper Mountain
Areal Flood Advisory
Statement as of 3:53 PM MDT on March 09, 2014
Expires 6:00 PM EDT on March 10, 2014
The National Weather Service in Riverton has issued a
* Flood Advisory for an ice jam and snow melt in...
Johnson County in north central Wyoming...
Natrona County in central Wyoming...
* until 400 PM MDT Monday
* over the next 24 hours... warming temperatures will bring an
increasing chance for ice jam flooding in and near the Powder
River in northern Natrona and southern Johnson counties.
Additionally... snowmelt over the next couple of days from water
unable to filter into the frozen ground... may instead flow into
low areas and outlets... causing ponding of these low lying areas.
Temperatures will rise into the upper 50s to lower 60s on
Monday. ..so expect flooding probabilities to increase with
the rising temperatures.
Warm days and freezing temperatures at night will allow the
threat for ice jamming to continue along the Powder River through
Monday. The threat will begin to subside when most of river ice
has broken up in the middle of the river channel. Ice jam flooding
is typically most severe near bridges.
* Some locations that could experience minor flooding from ice jams
include... areas near and around the Powder River... particularly in
south central Johnson County. The foothills of the southern
Bighorn Mountains will be the most susceptable to snowmelt
River ice is very unpredictable... and may move and jam with little
notice. Any ice jam can cause flooding as the ice dam can cause
rapid increases in river levels in a short period of time. People
living near these rivers should monitor the situation closely and be
ready to move to higher ground if flooding occurs.
Excessive runoff from snowmelt can cause minor flooding of small
creeks and streams. Additionally... country roads and farmlands
along the banks of creeks and streams and other low lying areas are
subject to minor flooding.
Report hazardous weather to the National Weather Service office in
Riverton at 1-800-211-1448.
Lat... Lon 4243 10609 4244 10751 4348 10752 4350 10711
4434 10714 4457 10732 4455 10600
- Alaska - Wind Chill Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Arizona - Fire Weather Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- California - Areal Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Iowa - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Maine - Winter Storm Watch
- Massachusetts - Winter Storm Watch
- Minnesota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning, Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Avalanche Warning
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- New Hampshire - Winter Storm Watch , Special Weather Statement
- New Mexico - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Advisory
- New York - Winter Storm Watch
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Winter Storm Watch , Record Report
- Tennessee - Flood Warning
- Texas - High Wind Watch , Dense Fog Advisory , Fire Weather Watch
- Vermont - Winter Storm Watch
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Record Report